Well here she is my second attempt at making a dolly/fairy. In my excitement to introduce her to you I realised I haven’t made her wings yet! But she has been christened, the family voted for Imogen, I think it quite suits her too.
She follows the same principles as Freya but hopefully is a little more refined. I took Freya in to show colleagues and the main comment was on the colour choice I had used for her face, legs and arms, I went for pale pink this time and I think that works much better. I also used a smaller hook to get a tighter finish.
You may be able to make out from the photo that I made the arms and legs a bit thicker too which has made her feel more substantial.
I added a little white collar to the top of the dress and a neck, this has worked well apart from the hair…………….
………….which I love but all those curls are actually quite heavy and it is teeny bit of a stain on the neck. I will reduce the row count on the neck next time and see if that works.
My favourite bit has to be her shoes, Freya’s shoes were flat but Imogen’s are 3D, more like actual shoes. I am so pleased with how they look and with the little bit of stuffing in them adding weight the legs hang really well.
How hard is writing a pattern? After making Freya I had a couple of ideas for improvement but I didn’t take enough account on the effect these would have on other parts. So, I have to say that Imogen is part II in my first doll making, pattern writing journey.
Well my friends, this is my first attempt at making a doll.
I looked in all the usual places, Ravelry, Etsy etc. but there were so many patterns I just got confused and simply could not decide on which one to buy. So I thought, why not have a go and try to make one free hand.
I took her into work and the general consensus was that I could improve on the colour choices and I agree with to some degree (the green hair was not well received but I like it). I also feel it would look better using a smaller hook size to tighten up the stitches, add a bit of something at the neck and a few more tweaks here and there.
I have already started on a FairyII version because there are so many things that I am not happy with but overall for a first attempt I was quite pleased. It was a great learning curve too.
I have a secret project on the go and although I cannot tell all quite yet I thought I would share these little birdies with you.
A few got out earlier and landed on the bay trees outside the front door!!
Here are the next batch waiting to hatch into colourful birds.
The pattern for these lovely colourful creatures is from a great friend to all in the crochet community, yes you’ve guessed, Lucy at Attic 24 is the creator of this simple but effective pattern. It is so easy and quick too so great for beginners.
If you fancy having a go here is the link.