Trying to be good I have used up some left over squares from making my daughters blanket to make her a matching cushion. I use the term matching rather loosely as the squares used for the cushion are the patterns that were rejected from the blanket.
Luckily I had enough squares to make it a double sided affair so she can switch it around as the mood takes her.
If you want a peek at the full blanket post you can see it here.
You may remember that I had some squares left over from making a blanket for my lovely Miss L and I decided to use them to make a cushion.
Well here it is.
And as I still had a few squares to use I worked them in along with the stripes for the back.
I originally started this project a few weeks ago when I discovered the Apache Tears pattern by Sara London which ended up being a cushion in it’s own right. It made sense to make them into a pair so the stripy back matches the apache tears cushion.
And to keep the pairing I used a similar pattern to make the flower buttons.
And finished with a simple edging.
I am very happy with how this pair work together.
Or using the face of the stripy backs.
Well, this was supposed to be one of my ‘finishing off’ projects but I have to be honest and say that I fell in love with the Apache Tears pattern and could not bring myself to resign it to the back of the flower cushion. So I ended up with yet another project to finish! But on a good note, I love it!
When it came to making a back for the cushion I was careful to keep it as simple as possible so decided to go for a simple stripe.
But how to make the opening? That would take a bit of thinking about, I did not want to use buttons as the cushion is going to go onto the new wooden kitchen bench and if it is used to sit on I thought the buttons might dig in to ones bottom. Then I remembered a video I had stumbled upon recently that shows how to work a flower into a row of crochet. Mmmmmmmm if I do flowers like these they can become the buttons, could this work?
And to open.
I think it worked really well and am so happy with my new cushion, My daughter won’t be able to complain about the bench being to hard now!
The only problem I have now is which way round to use my new cushion?
Me, well I am back to making another back to finish off the original cushion again!
The pattern for these gorgeous little flowers was found purely by accident one day whilst perusing Ravelry, and what a great find, aren’t they cute. It’s not easy to show in the images but the way they are made gives them a great depth and texture. They are great for using up scraps too, I am using Rico Essentials Soft Merino Aran scraps that I have left from making our daughters blanket last year.
The mistake I made was not following the instruction in the pattern about joining the flowers together as I went, I just merrily went on my way making them all individually and pinning them onto my cushion. I wanted to be free to arrange and re-arrange the colours. No problem, or so I thought. I would simply sew them together at the end. Oh dear, I definitely do not recommend this, it is taking me ages!
It will be worth it in the end I am sure but it is not a mistake I would make twice. They do look good but as you can see I do have a way to go yet.
The pattern is by Adi Keren available on Ravelry here there is such a lovely story behind it too, Adi along with other members of the family made flowers then Adi brought them all together to create a gorgeous blanket for her nephew. She explains that between them they used scraps in blues and greens in a mixture of yarn types and weights, this added even more texture.
Found a great blog and I just had to share this with you! During the rainy weekends of late I have been spending a bit of time online and came across this website/blog attic24.typepad.com/, the first thing I saw was the image of the website author Lucy holding a beautiful cushion. I was thrilled to find that there was a tutorial provided so it was just a matter of getting started as soon as possible.
As it happens I had some new yarn that my hubby bought for me, I know that might sound a bit strange but we were supposed to be going out and I was all ready to go and was looking for some new wool on one of my favourite wool shops www.blacksheepwools.com while he got ready. When he came downstairs 20 minutes later and I was still ‘waffing about’ as he put it, I was deliberating about which colours to choose you see! He took the computer, promptly ordered a ball of each colour, closed the computer and said “you can buy more of the colour you like the best. Can we go and eat now?”
Now very grateful for his intervention I am using his selection from the Rico Essentials Soft Merino Aran range as follows. I picked out these darker shades as the base.
These lighter shades to balance out the base colours.
And these lovely brights to add some zing!
Here they are altogether. Don’t you think they look scrumptious?
The finished cushion on my little wooden chair, I am really very pleased with it.
The pattern is very clever using both the front and the back of the stitches to form the petals.
The tutorial for the pattern is really clear and easy to follow with lots of pictures so you can check at every stage that you are executing the pattern correctly.
The back follows the same colourful stripes as the front in treble crochet. I did have a bit of trouble with the dome shape formed on the back but used a little crochet flower in both the front and the back to pull a little dimple in the centre of the cushion which I think worked well. Thank you for sharing Lucy, I think I might pop back onto the Attic to see what else I can make………
Here is a link to the Blooming Flower cushion tutorial from Lucy. http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/blooming-flower-cushion.html/